The AGC of Michigan Summer Work Program is for contractors wishing to hire Civil Engineering and Construction Management Sophomores and Juniors. Contractors pay a salary + $1500 for tuition in fellowship - $750 from contractor, $750 from AGC (can be tax deductible).
Designed exclusively for Michigan construction contractors, this cooperative program between the AGC Construction Industry Advancement Program and Michigan universities provides construction work experience for undergraduate students.
Please note: Students not meeting the SWP requirements may still be eligible for an internship experience with a Michigan contractor. Non-SWP applicants should send their resume directly to Viki Gotts.
The 2018 Summer Work Program application will be available in September 2017. Please check back then.
Job assignment examples include:
IN THE FIELD:
- Report on progress and other meetings
- Laboratory and/or test assignments
- Material Inventory and expediting work
- Field representative at progress meetings
- Assistant in layout crew
- Safety Inspector, Timekeeper
- Prepare cost distributions
- Quality Control and Inspection
- Assistant Project Engineer
IN THE OFFICE:
- Assemble cost control and estimating data and/or safety control records
- Quantity surveys for estimates
- Clerical assistance
- Attend and report on meetings as an observer (progress, labor, safety, engineering, client's, etc.)
- Shop drawing approval and checking
- Detailing and board work
- Value Engineering
Click here to see SWP Students on the Job!
Constructors interested in hiring a summer work program student may the review program information and/or contact Viki Gotts.
Students who are interested in participating in the Summer Work Program need to complete an application and submit by February 28, 2018.